Pregnancy care and birthing options
It is a good idea to start thinking about where you want to have your baby and the kind of care you want to receive throughout your pregnancy and birth as soon as possible. While your decisions are likely to be influenced by where you live, as well as your family and friends, it is important to consider what is important to both you and your partner and become well informed about what options are available. Some things to consider may include;
- Your level of private health insurance cover
- Obstetrician, midwife led care or GP shared care arrangements
- Access to medical intervention
- Pain management options
- Homebirth options
Public maternity care options in the ACT:
Canberra Maternity Options is a single access point for all public maternity care in the ACT. Call 02 5124 9977 to arrange a meeting with a midwife who can help you find the best public maternity care in the ACT for you.
When your pregnancy is confirmed and if you would like to give birth in the public system, you will need to:
- Call 02 5124 9977 to book to meet with a midwife;
- Meet a midwife close to home to talk about your health care needs, personal preferences, and complete a health assessment to find the best care for you; and
- consider reading ACT Health information about the public pregnancy and birthing options available in Canberra.
Canberra Maternity Options provide free early pregnancy information sessions where you can learn about your public maternity care options.
For more information:
The Royal Women’s Hospital – Pregnancy care & birthing options