Fertility and IVF
Infertility is identified as the inability to fall pregnant after twelve or more months of unprotected sexual intercourse and affects around 1 in 6 Australian couples. There are many causes of infertility which may be attributed to male, female or a combination of factors.
For women, this may include;
- Hormonal disorders
- Damaged or blocked fallopian tubes
For men this may include;
- Low sperm count
- Poor sperm movement or shape
- No sperm released during ejaculation
For both men and women the following factors may also influence fertility;
- Age – women after the age of 35 and men after the age of 45 are at higher risk of fertility issues
- Smoking, alcohol and other drug consumption
- Sexually transmitted infection such as chlamydia, gonorrhoea, HIV, genital herpes, syphilis
For many couples struggling with falling pregnant it can be an emotional experience, there are a number of services available in Canberra to help you understand the reasons why you are having difficulty falling pregnant and to discuss your options;
Or visit Your IVF Success – Your IVF Success provides clear, trusted information to help you decide if IVF treatment is right for you and makes it easy to find a clinic.